Sunday, July 3, 2011

Ahhh -- We have arrived!

Hola Amigos!!!!

So excited to be posting my first blog from Espana!!!! This place is absolutely amazing. There are no words to ever describe it and pictures could never do it enough justice! Yesterday was such a whirl wind and very exhausting but hey, it got is here! Mom and I left Unadilla to head to up to Atlanta around noon but it was such a morning leaving the house. Like I said I am an extreme overpacker and procrastinator so of course I waited until 9 pm the night before to start packing. We decided to put everything I had laid out in my suitcase just to see how much it weighed -- clearly was overweigh when I could barely push the 70 pound suitcase across the room to the scale. After lots of hardwork and some tears, I finally got it down to 50 pounds. SUCCESS.. not yet. I couldn't sleep a wink Thursday night, I was just too excited and anxious.   And then Friday finally was here. And I was a mess. As I am literally rolling my 50 pound suitcase and carry on suitcase down the stairs, my carry on suitcase literally busts open. It was like a scene in a movie when someone has a suitcase too full clothes fly everywhere. Mom is of course laughing at the situation while I am so upset because we were in a hurry. Penny came to the rescue and had an extra carry on suitcase that I quickly stuffed all my things into. Whew!

We arrived at the airport around 3 and met up with Nola, her parents, and a few friends that came all the way to Atlanta to see us off (Samantha, Anna, and Andrew). We all got through security fine and met at the Delta gate in plenty of time. The flight was not too terrible. I got to sit with a friend Mary that goes to Valdosta State with me which was so great -- last time I flew internationally, I ended up sitting next to a drunk old foreign man who spoke no english and smelt like body odor so this was definitely better than that. We watched a few movies and tried to get some sleep but the seats were very small and uncomfortable so neither of us slept more than an hour or two. But the flight had a wide variety of movies and television shows to watch! We finally arrive in Madrid around 9:40 Spanish time and went through customs and baggage just fine. Then we met up with our coordinator from Espana, Roberto. He is so nice and speaks great English. He had busses waiting for our group as soon as we walked outside and took us strait to the Colegio at Podre Poveda. As we arrived, we all got our room keys and took our luggage strait to the room! I am luckily on the same bottom floor as Mary and Abbye, which is the same floor that leads to the pool and cafeteria!

We later went to our first Spanish restaurant and had a great meal. It was a very interesting lunch due to the language barrier and or waiter spoke no English. He was very understanding and helpful though and we finally understood each other somewhat. We all came back to the Colegio and unpacked, showered, and took short naps before we were off again into our first night in Madrid! We stayed pretty close to the Colegio and ate at a great tapas restaurant! Good food, good wine, good sangria, great friends! There is a group of about 10 of us girls that have already become close friends (myself, Abbye, Nola, Jamie Lee, Kelsey, Molly, Maggie, Mary, and Ashley)! All 8 of us (minus Ashley) ate at the restaurant and later walked across the street to a "lounge & bar" where we drank more wine and sangria! So much fun! We arrived back at the Colegio around 2:30 am which is quite early for them. Their bars and discos (clubs) do not close until 6 or 7 am on the weekends!


The first day was clearly a success and so much fun! I'll be posting soon about our trip to Toledo and downtown Madrid today!

Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment